Afghanistan Armenia Azerbaijan Bahrain Bangladesh Bhutan Cambodia China Cyprus Georgia India Indonesia Iran Iraq Israel Japan Jordan Kazakhstan Kyrgyzstan Lao People's Democratic Republic Lebanon Malaysia Maldives Mongolia Nepal Pakistan Phillippines Qatar Republic of Korea Saudi Arabia Singapore Sri Lanka Taiwan Tajikistan Thailand United Arab Emirates Uzbekistan Vietnam Yemen
The Foreign Ministry of Yemen
Khaled Hussein Alyemany
Minister of Foreign Affairs
- Born 2 May 1960 in Aden, Republic of Yemen.
- Married and has three sons, Amer, Ammar & Omar.
- Joined the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1991.
- On the 23 of May 2018, a Republican Decree No. 38 of 2018 appointed him as the Foreign Minister of the Republic of Yemen.
- On the 23 of December 2014 a Republican Decree 146 of 2014 appointed him as Permanent Representative of the Republic of Yemen to the United Nations in New York.
- On 4 October 2016, a Republican Decree No 130 of 2016 granted him a full Ministerial Position.
- From 2016 to 2017 he served as the Vice-Chair of the bureau of the Least Developed Countries (LDCs) at the United Nations.
- In 2015, he served as the Vice-President of the General Assembly of the United Nations.
- From July 2013 to December 2014 he was Deputy Permanent Representative of the Republic of Yemen to the United Nations in New York.
- From January to June 2013 he was Director of Foreign Minister’s Office in the MFA Yemen.
- From January 2011 to December 2012 he was Deputy Director and Acting Director of Foreign Minister’s Office in MOFA Yemen.
- From October 2009 to December 2010 he was chief negotiator of the Permanent Mission in New York during Yemen’s Chairmanship of the G77 and China, negotiating the outcome document of the MDG review conference of 2010.
- From July to September 2009, he was Deputy Director of Foreign Minister’s Office in MFA Yemen.
- From July 2005 to June 2009 he was Deputy Chief of Mission at Yemen Embassy in London.
- From July 2003 to June 2005 he was an expert, assistant and private secretary at the Foreign Minister’s Office, overlooking the Yemeni American Relations (USA, Canada and Cuba) and counterterrorism.
- From July 2000 to June 2003 he was political and press officer at Yemen Embassy in Washington DC USA.
- From December 1997 to June 2000 he was Political and Press Officer at the Yemen Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- From January 1995 to November 1997 he was an expert in the Foreign Minister’s Office overlooking the Yemeni African Relations.
- From January 1991 to December 1994 he worked in the Department of Press and Information at MFA Yemen, Editor of the private publications of MFA.
- He received the rank of Ambassador in MFA in the Republican Decree No 146 of 2014, the rank of Minister Plenipotentiary in 2009 and the rank of Counsellor in 2004.
He was promoted in his career from Diplomatic Attaché to Ambassador.
- He did his University and Master’s degree at the University of Havana, Republic of Cuba.
- Speaks fluent English, Spanish and Arabic.
- Participated in numerous Summits, International and Regional conferences and in bi- lateral talks and negotiations representing MFA overlooking numerous specialized portfolios and chairing many working groups:
- Participating in many presidential visits and taking part in its preparations, to USA, UK, Brussels EU, Cuba, France, Germany, Malaysia, Korea, Ethiopia, Sudan, and Paki- stan.
- Participating in MFA ministerial or specialized delegations to the GCC countries, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Iran, USA, UK and the UN.
- Chaired MFA team in the co-chair of the Friends of Yemen (Yemen, KSA, UK).
- Participated in the BMENA Forum of the Future in Morocco and Bahrain.
- Member of the joint political committee of the Sana’a Forum for Cooperation (Yemen, Sudan, Ethiopia).
- Coordinating the joint bilateral commission between Yemen, Tanzania, Djibouti and Eritrea.
- Member of the Yemeni negotiating team with the GCC secretariat 2004.
- Deputy Coordinator of the Sana’a Conference on Democracy, Human Rights and the role of the International Criminal Court 2005, in cooperation with the Italian NGO No Peace Without Justice.
- Representative of MFA in the Supreme Technical Committee of Human Rights 2004- 2005.
- Participated in the founding seminars of the Near East South Asia Center of Strategic Studies, University of National Defense in Washington DC, USA.
- Participated in the German Foundation for International Development training course for young diplomat 1995.
- Editor-in-chief of The Diplomat a magazine issued by MFA 2003-2005
- Published papers and studies:
- The GCC initiative for Yemen: the story from inside. 2012
- Towards the digital diplomacy, a study on improving the working methodology in MFA 2003
- Yemeni Diplomacy in 2012: harvesting the fruits of political realism. Paper published by the General Center of Studies and Research, Sana’a 2003
- Numerous articles published in Yemeni local press on literature, poetry and Yemeni Diplomacy.
- Diaries of a Diplomat in New York, a book 2012
- 2015: Yemen Diplomacy in the United Nations (under preparation)
- Contributed to teaching Diplomatic Skills in the Yemeni Diplomatic Institute.