The Embassy of Switzerland in Berlin
Address : Otto von Bismarck Allee 4A, Berlin, D-10557
Tel.: +41 800 24-7-365
Tel.: +41 58 465 33 33
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Amb. Paul R. Seger
Paul R. Seger was born on 26 December 1958 in Basel. He is married to Colette Seger-Schneiter and has two sons. He is the Swiss Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany. He succeeded Christine Shraner Burgener in Berlin on 28 August 2018.
He studied law at the University of Basel and even became a lecturer at the Law Faculty of the University of Basel and a guest lecturer at various US Universities, including Georgetown, Columbia, Yale and Michigan. He is the author of several academic articles on international law and politics and is a member of various national and international legal associations.
Ambassador Paul R. Seger was the Head of Mission of the Swiss Embassy in Yangon, Myanmar from 1 October 2015. He presented his credentials to the President of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar on 13 October 2015. Before this posting, he was the Permanent Representative of Switzerland to the United Nations in New York from 2010 until 2015. Prior to his departure to New York, he was the Head of the Directorate of International Law and Legal Adviser of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA), Berne.
During that time, he also served as the Ambassador of Switzerland to the Principality of Liechtenstein, the Head of the Swiss Delegation to the Central Commission for Navigation on the Rhine (CCNR) from 2003 to 2009 and as President of CCNR from 2006 to 2007. He was also a Member of the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
German is his mother tongue, and he is fluent in English, French and Spanish and has basic Italian skills.
The Swiss Embassy was built in 1870-71 by architect Friedrich Hitzig. It was used as a city palace until 1919, when it was bought by Switzerland. From 1920, the building was used as a law firm for the Swiss embassy and was also the residence of the ambassador. The embassy building is the only building in the inner Spreebogen of Alsenviertel that survived the World War II without any major damage. In 1995, the building was renovated by Diener & Diener architects and a modern part was added to the building.